Saturday, May 2, 2009

There's Something in the Air...

History is made up of pivotal moments that define generations and even eras. Sometimes such moments are localized, others they are widespread. And it is often difficult to see the importance and significance of a moment while it is happening. I think of Obama's election only a few months ago... Only a generation or two from now will the full effect of such an important event be truly understood.

I just came back from Montreal where I participated in the second of six sessions of Training with the International School of Leaders. This course will lead to a certification in Dynamic Governance through the Sociocratic Centre of Holland. The individuals who built that school have a vision of a world where people feel they are active participants and where meaningful relationships happen in all spheres of life, work being not the least. The cohort of 12 students attending the year-long course come from many walks of life, but all have this in common: they also believe in the vision of the school. The purpose of that school is to train Leaders in the Sociocratic method to be better at managing themselves, groups, and enterprises.

Over the past three days, I have learned many things about myself as a leader. I have also learned a lot about Sociocracy as a tool and as a philosophy. The deeper I dive into it, the less I want to come out, and the more I feel it inhabiting my entire being. I see Sociocracy as a way of life, a way of interacting with others, a way of making life a series of win-win situations.

The technical aspects of Sociocracy are simply the start. Learning how to facilitate a sociocratic meeting is like learning how to walk, or how to count. Once the skill has been acquired, there is no telling where one will go or what one will do. All we know is that walking can take us to wonderful places, but only if we keep on walking...

1 comment:

  1. We are looking at the consensus process for a board of a non-denominational congregation. I am specifically interested in the role of the facilitator. I have seen differing references to them being a neutral party, being a part of the group, etc. I would like your opinion as to whether a facilitator can be effective if they are a stake holder in the process. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete