Thursday, May 28, 2009

Energy Through the Many

I don't remember feeling so nervous at the onset of a meeting for a long time. The jitters I was feeling today were reminiscent of my early teaching years, when I still felt on shaky grounds. Thirteen colleagues came to the Implementation meeting today. Wow! And another ten said they wanted to come but could not make it. I felt such a fresh breeze of energy! And I should mention that some of these people knew next to nothing about DG, other than the fact that it is happening in one form or another withing the College.

I brought forth a proposal, presented it, and allowed for the process to do its thing. We collected questions, reactions, and objections. We sought consent, and we obtained it. It was amazing! The result is that the group will meet again on Tuesday to begin its self-determination.

I don't know why I did not seek this earlier on... but I am definitely making a clear note with red ink in my personal notebook: when working on a collective endeavour, involve the collective from the get-go!

Interestingly, it appears that there is still resistance within the ranks of management. So the group wanted to stress that its purpose would be one of support of existing circles, and future ones that want to implement. This group is not about trying to bring in more circles. I hope this will relieve some of the fears that may exist higher up.

I would be sad if DG had for an effect to bring us a few years behind, when employees and management were split by an ever widening rift. It seems that over the past year or so, that rift was being filled. It would be a shame to see it being dug out and growing again.

I am always amazed and humbled by the collective wisdom of the groups I am priviledged to work with... it amazes me to see and hear the creativity that abounds all around me. DG seems to be a great conduit to channel it and allow it to blossom.

I can hardly wait until the next Impementation meeting!

No comments:

Post a Comment