Friday, June 5, 2009

From Cognition to Emotion

I had a neat experience during a circle meeting not too long ago that taught me a lot about group dynamics, and also about some of the challenges around implementing DG. About a dozen of us were meeting for an hour to do some planning for a workgroup, on a spectacular day of sun and warmth. Now, for those of you who are not familiar with the Yukon, we get long winters, and when we get nice weather, many like to be outside! So, during the opening round, someone made the comment that he would like to be outside for this meeting. Following that, in my role of facilitator, I suggested that the person make that into a proposal. Without having the time to formulate it, another member of the group objected, stating that he did not do well in hot weather, and that if the group wanted to go outside, and that we should just go ahead and get the meeting done.

I then proceeded to explore a possible alternative, such as finding a location with shade, to which the person replied that we could go outside and he would simply go home. What struck me was the immediate rise of tension around the table. It was so thick and people were so uncomfortable that I then proceeded to see if the group could live with being inside (bad move on my part as a facilitator, as I feel I let my guard down and missed a great opportunity to help the group grow as a unit). I saw people's resignation to that idea and we proceeded with the meeting.

So what have I learned with that situation? First, that the role of Facilitator is a tough one that requires a lot of knowledge, experience, leadership, and trust in oneself. Second, that there is a difference between "understanding" DG, "experiencing" DG, and "living" DG. Third, that DG requires a lot more time than I anticipated.

It is one thing to implement a circle structure and to explain what "zero objections" means. But it is entirely different to "experience" it. The tension that is generated through objections can either be avoided by dismissing the issue to be resolved (or by doing a poor job at resolving it) or be harnessed to become a driver or creativity and team development. Teams that allow themselves the privilege to stay in the moment, live the tension, work with it, will become that much stronger, more efficient, and creative. The members will feel connected with one another and feel a greater sense of belonging both to the group and the institution. This all happens when the information gets transferred from the head into the heart.

I am so thrilled by this new group I am feeling hopeful, energized, driven, and giddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment