Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Welcome to my DG Blog!

Well, let me first welcome myself to the 21st Century! This is my first Blog. I am ashamed to admit I resisted this for so long. It took the wisdom of many colleagues before I accepted my fate and actually went through the motions of setting this up (and that only after months of internal struggles and overt resistance). As I write this entry, I am left wondering how the page will look after I click the "Publish Post" button... another first coming up soon...

My purpose with this Blog is twofold: journal my experience with the introduction and implementation of Dynamic Governance (Sociocratic Governance) at Yukon College; and inform the College Community of the developments surrounding the implementation. I could also add a third purpose to the list, and that would be to provide general information about Dynamic governance.

As April begins, I am pondering where things have been, where they are at, and where they may go. Dynamic Governance at Yukon College was but a dream a year ago. At the onset of yesterday,25% of the College workforce was fully engaged in the process of making their work more open, more effective, and mainly, more satisfying. At the end of the day, another 60% of the College workforce was brought into this collective experiment. Much work will be required to help them become organized and comfortable with DG, but I am confident that by the end of the coming fall semester, over 80% of the College workforce will wonder how they used to operate without this innovative system. Just as the internet has become a central part of our lives (it is so well integrated that we forget we use it so much), Dynamic Governance has the potential to become a central part of who we are as an institution, and how we do things as a collective.

My intention over the next little while is to document the entire process of implementation over the past year. I also want to write about the potential of Dynamic Governance at the College and in the community.

If as a reader you have any suggestions to improve this blog, please do not hesitate to let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment